Sunday, February 2, 2014

Week 74: 6 Months to get it right

This past weekend was an interesting one. Transfer time is a fun time to go crazy around here. We've got 27 missionaries coming in tomorrow, and only 3 going home. This has lead to several new areas opening which meant new housing for some lucky few missionaries. Elder Jarvis and I helped the office missionaries put furniture into some of these new houses Saturday. In case you didn't know, metal frames get cold sitting in a storage shed when it's 20* outside.
 
Yesterday marked 18 months as a missionary. They haven't been 18 perfect months, but they've been 18 great months. I've learned a lot about who I am, and who I need to be. Am I proud of the missionary I've been over this time? Eh, I'm not disappointed. I've always had a hard time using my full potential. Luckily, I've got 6 more months to figure it out.
 
We had 5 of our investigators at sacrament in 6th ward yesterday. It was fantastic. Jordan-who's pretty close to baptism-started to invite Brooke-who's not very far along-to start living the word of wisdom in the middle of Sunday School. It was awesome because it's shown his growth, but it wasn't perfect timing. We'll find out what Brooke thought about that tonight when we meet with her again.
 
I decided to take part in a 'pagan missionary tradition'. I had a pair of pants that were rendered unwearable  16 months ago due to a crash I took on my bike. Now I don't have a pair of pants. Now I've just got pictures.
 
It's transfer PDay, and Elder Jarvis and I get to stay together for another transfer. Our first transfer went well. We're going to make this one go even better. We lost two of our wards to a new set of missionaries moving into the area, but this will help us have the chance to focus on the two wards we're left with. Middleton has been a great town to serve in. We've got a hard working community here in Middleton. Everyone's got a role to play in the town. We just need to help them each realize their missionary role now.
 
It's not always easy to do missionary work. Sometimes it's scary. Sometimes we don't know what to say. Sometimes we won't do it so that "someone else can have those blessings". Heavenly Father has enough blessings to give out to everybody if only everybody would be a missionary. There are different ways to do it, and each of us needs to find our missionary niche. Once we do, the Spirit will be able to help us that much more. Blessings flow to all when missionary work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment