Monday, December 9, 2013

Week 70: Everything tastes better deep-fried.

This was a pretty good week up here in Nampaville. We had zone conference, a turkey fry, and another old companion getting ready to go home this go around.

Zone Conference was last Tuesday. We talked about the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion. There isn't too much more important than the Spirit when it comes to missionary work. In D&C 42, it says "And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of fatih; and if ye receive not the Spirit ye shall not teach." Teaching is basically the only thing we do as missionaries. If we can't do that, we can't be effective missionaries. The Spirit is there to testify to each of us of truth whenever there is truth to be testified of. We cannot be converted if we aren't able to feel it.
After a great training, we went into the cultural hall for some activities. They consisted of blindfolded "dodge the missionary with the bat", get out of the burning barn rope without using your arms, and moving radioactive waste as a team using elastic strings(both being able to see and blindfolded with a guide). Planning and communication were key to all of these activities. You had to know which voices to listen to(especially when blindfolded). 
Zone Conference ended with a Thanksgiving feast. The food was delicious, but the package I got was even sweeter. I got a package that Arthur sent up. In it was a little letter, a cookie, and some pictures. I knew he was getting tall, but I didn't realize how tall he was getting. The picture attached is of the inside of my sidebag. The mission pins, and now also my mentor pin. 

Saturday night, we went to an elder's quorum activity for dinner. They were doing a turkey fry before Thanksgiving. That was the most delicious turkey I've ever had. I'm going to have to find out how they season the turkeys and get myself a frier for when I eventually have to carve up the birds myself.

This upcoming weekend/pday is transfer time. Elder Larsen, my companion from June to July, goes home Saturday. He's one of the better teachers here in the mission, and I'll miss having his experience around. 

I had a little bit of freetime last pday, so I looked up old conference talks from the year I was born. One caught my eye in particular. It was President Hinckley's talk from the priesthood session. This was the talk that the Mormon Message "Lessons I learned as a boy" came from. I liked it a lot. Something not quite yet applicable (but I wrote it down anyways so that I can remember it in the future) yet that I liked was "[B]e good men, that your wives will speak of you with love and appreciation and your children will remember you with gratitude everlasting" I'm going to be that good man someday! Thanks for all of you good men that are already out there!(and you good women too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment