Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Week 68:A whole new transfer

Well...I didn't email home last week. It was transfer day, and we took over a new area with a dying missionary. When I say "we", I'm talking about Elder Streeter and me now. He comes from North Carolina. That brings me up to 3 East coasters(NH, NC, and MD), 3 West coasters(CA, AZ, and AZ)[Ok, AZ is pushing it...], and 3 Mid-Westerners(CO, UT, and NM). We came into the area with a little bit of information and an almost home missionary. (Elder) Zach (Barnes) hung out with us until leaving to meet the assistants to go to the airport. He was my second companion and a pretty good missionary. A group of us will miss him out here.

I got moved back into the Nampa North Stake.(I'd give out an address, but we're moving again soon, so just send mail to 1008 W Sanetta St) I've changed the wards I cover. Now I work with the 1st and 36th wards, so I've worked in 7 out of the 9 wards in the North Stake. We've got great ward leaders that are excited to be working with us. It's getting pretty crazy with these smaller areas. Another couple transfers and we'll be getting down to one-ward areas. 

In my last area there was a pumpkinman(a snowman-type thing but made with pumpkins), and it reminded me of the Dragon books from when I was younger. I also got crazy/lazy trying to eat that watermelon. I didn't feel like pulling out any other utensils, so I ate the watermelon off of the knife. It was pretty sharp, but I came out unharmed minus an upset stomach because the watermelon had gone bad-ish.

Last week's district meeting was about developing Christ-like attributes. Two scriptures stuck out to me as we were discussing that topic. Matthew 16:24 and Alma 38:12. Several different verses in the New Testament tell us to "take up the cross", but it never really explains what it means. That why I'm really glad there is a JST addition to Matt 16:24. "And now for a man to take up his cross, is to deny himself all ungodliness, and every worldly lust, and keep my commandments." I'm still working on the application of these two verses, but through the process I'm able to see the importance of what it says in 2 Nephi 28:30. We can't learn everything all at once. We have to learn "line upon line, precept upon precept". Everything won't come at once, but as we take in the little that we do get, it will prepare us to receive more.

No comments:

Post a Comment