Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Week 53:The things you learn from working in the field

Hello! Not much time to email, but we'll see if I can get everything I need to out!
4th of July rocked! We got to go to a pancake breakfast and flag ceremony. It felt like being back at home(Especially considering I was wearing a suit and tie last year after having been set apart as a missionary the night before.) They rest of the day was pretty relaxing. Nampa did their firework show the night before at a "God and Country" rally. There were still a lot of fireworks on the 4th because they aren't illegal. Every other house was having a personal firework show....but it wasn't so personal because everyone could see it.
The 5th of July marked one year as an official missionary with a name badge! That was a sweet day too! We had interviews with President Cannon in the morning. It was like a year ago when I was first introducing myself to the other President Cannon, but 3 weeks early because of the MTC time last year.
In the afternoon, Elder Larsen and I got to do gardening service. I did my first harvest. I picked zucchini, cucumber, and squash. Bro Bittick charged me with checking the tomatoes to see if any were ripe. There were 3 rows...I got to army crawl to check the middle row! It was pretty fun. I never knew plants were so prickly though...ouch.
In the evening time, I participated in the great missionary burning tradition. A missionary who had lived in the apartment before left a few white shirts behind. None of them fit us, so I stole one of those to use in "the burning" 1 year down; another year to try(full time) to help as many people as possible.
As I've reflected on the past year, I think I have actually learned a thing or two on my mission. Learning to focus more on the future has been one of the major things I've learned over the year. As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that the years ahead hold a lot of important decisions that will affect me (and my family) for the rest of my life. I used to mourn over not being able to go back to the past. Now, I have a better understanding of the ability I have to change the future by acting now. Actions speak louder than words. They shape us. As we seek to act in a correct manner, it will help make our future brighter and better.
Catch everyone in another year!
Elder SUMann

No comments:

Post a Comment