Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Week 51: "Seasoned Veterans"

You know you're getting old when you no longer hear comments like "Wow! What a young companionship!" "A greeny!" and other similar comments. With my older companion, Elder Larsen, we're now getting two compliments: "seasoned" or "veterans". E Larsen has been out for 18, and I'm at about 11. That's the oldest companionship I've been a part of. We're at 29 months combined time, whereas with the rest of my companionships we've had totals of 24, 16, 10, 12, 16, and 13.

Somebody let it leak that I had a birthday this past week. I'm now 20. I feel old...but not really because I don't actually feel 20. Time stands still even though it is flying by out here. I feel similarly different to how I felt 11 months ago. Last year I climbed down from the top of a mountain with a few friends. This year I did service in the rain. Aside from a happy birthday from my companion and another missionary who had caught wind, I would have escaped with no notice of my birthday(which would have been ok), but my uncle showed up to drop off cupcakes at the end of the night. They are slowly being eaten so that I can savor it longer. They are awesome. Steve went through the front door of the house though, so the members also found out that it was my birthday. Those decorations are what I came home to the next night.

Last night was the Work of Salvation broadcast. That rocked. Apparently we will be readily available to let people into church buildings now. I'm not sure how that's going to work, but it sounds good to me. Plus, Elder Perry mentioned increased use of technology and digital missionary work. How soon will it be implemented? We're not sure. It might not even be here by the time I am done, but I know they are planning on phasing it in over the next year and a half around the world. It felt like another session of general conference. Every member needs to be a missionary. Tracting is a thing of the past. We need to be united in the work.

Elder Larsen is a pretty great companion. We're having fun, doing work, and having fun doing work. He's from Colorado. He's the youngest of 5 children. All the rest are married, and most have kids. Makes me think of all of my siblings and how we are not like that. Life's good though. Nothing to complain about.

Next time: The new mission president and official split of the missions!
Elder Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment