Saturday, April 6, 2013

Week 39: Greetings from Nampa!

Hello from Nampa, Idaho and Happy belated Easter!
 
Well, last Monday was transfer day. I left small town Wendell(which I am missing already) for biggish Nampa. I was in "the van" from 11 to 2. From 2 to 4, I was in a car because there wasn't room in the van. I was the small guy in the car, so I got the back middle seat...it was a looooooong 2 hours. Then I got to ride in a truck for about another hour to get to my final destination of Nampa. The driving from 11 to 2 was in the wrong direction though. It doesn't actually take that long to get from Twin Falls to Nampa, but with multiple stops to fill up gas, drop off missionaries, and get food for those who had been driving the cars, it added up to all day. That's why there wasn't an email. I've got a new address to go with the new area!
 
Elder Soren Mann
1200 Autumn Wind Drive
Nampa, ID 83687
(The Boise address is still good for now, but there will be a new mission office address if I am still in Nampa when July rolls around)
 
Nampa's been fun though. I've got Elder Joshua Smith from New Hampshire as a companion. He was a salesman before the mission, so he knows how to talk. He's only been here 5 weeks because of the shortened transfer(28 missionaries came in last week!), so we rely a lot on the gps. We cover 4 wards around northeastern Nampa.(This area actually boarders my first area in Meridian. Also somewhat funny: Despite the closeness of the areas, that is where the mission boarder will be when the Boise mission is split in July.) At some point, I wrote down an address and a name. I had no recollection of writing it down, but we put it into the gps. The street existed so we went to find this mysterious person. What we found is the picture attached. That was the entirety of the street...Needless to say, we're still looking for that person.
 
It's warming up a lot. Days are staying above 70 but it feels like 80 or 90 because of how cold it was. Suitcoat season ends tomorrow. We will no longer have to wear our full suits until next General Conference aside from district and zone meetings where they are required.
 
With it being April Fool's Day, I'm sure some missionaries are sending home great stories of trouble and turmoil. I thought about it. I almost took pictures to fake it and add some points, but I didn't. I thought that I'd instead reminisce on the fact that it was a year ago today that I made my mission assignment known to the social media world. I got my call the 29th or 30th of March, but blahdeeblah and blah. I didn't announce it to the world until the 1st. Only one person questioned the validity of my call, but here I am 1 year later! I'll have been out 9 months this Friday.
 
To those taking finals or preparing for them, Good luck! You'll rock their socks off!
 
Elder Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment