Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Week 36: Time keeps rolling along

Times they are a-changing and a-flying. We had a zone meeting this week(hence the picture with all of the missionaries), and we were told of another change in mission policy. Missionaries are now allowed to email anyone and to receive emails from anyone.(I've even got a copy of the letter from the mission department to prove it if you don't believe me.) This'll make keeping in touch with whoever a lot easier, don't you think? Letters are still great though! Hand written letters beat an email any day of the week! I'll keep writing letters, so you shouldn't either(when the occasion arises that you can write a letter). I've got the same Wendell address(3134 S. 1900 E.) for at least 2 weeks. That's when transfers come up again.
A lot of fun other things happened this week. I talk about time flying for a few reasons. Stateside Mission Problem #1230981048 is one of the examples of making time fly: having to wax a car. Elder King and I finished washing his car, so we decided we needed to wax it. From his experience, you had to leave the wax on the car for a little while before wiping it off. Well...We let it sit a little too long. It took us an hour to wipe off what it took us 10 minutes to apply. It didn't feel like an hour. It felt like it was blasting by! It wasn't easy, but walking 20 miles a day would be a lot harder(...I don't actually think I would mind that over waxing a car though...being me)
Something else that blew by this week: a hailstorm! A really awesome, intense hailstorm! Those 'little' things in my hand? Pieces of hail! Marble size! I was standing outside when I saw clouds off to the west. The wind was blowing east, and I caught my glimpse of the first bolt of lightning! It was pretty cool, so I stood outside and watched for as long as it was safe. I moved inside once it the storm got close enough. Good thing to! After about a minute of watching the lightning from the window, there was a bolt and loud crack of thunder right overhead! A cloud of dust rolled through pushed by the wind. Then there was that hail! That monstrous(for a southern californian) hail! It only lasted about a minute, but it completely covered the ground! A few minutes later, the clouds rolled on and the sun shined just like it had earlier in the day(like when we went running earlier in the morning for the first time since winter hit back in fall).
Speaking of that run, my feet probably don't like me too much for what I did to them this past week. I wore ankle weights, but they weren't good. They cut my legs up from rubbing and what not. At some point during the week I kicked the treadmill and bruised my left foot. Saturday I kicked a flaming stick and bruised my right foot.
A flaming stick I say? We went to a service project Saturday. The objective: clean up this man's property. What did we need to do to complete the objective? Bonfire! That's a 13 year old standing next to the pile of wood we were burning to clear up the property. I had fire duty, so I got to make sure the fire didn't spread to far. That sucker was hot! I also had to help flip the wood so that it all burned(hence my kicking the flaming stick). Oh, and the wind was blowing. This obviously pushed the fire in one direction, so flames would indescriminately pop up 10' to 20' from the bonfire on that REALLY hot side of it. I would then have to go over to that hot spot and stomp out the fire with either my foot or a shovel and dirt depending on the size. That was hot! Now I've got the tiniest inkling of what it's like to be a firefighter.
This week we were also able to find some part member families with unbaptized children, the Hulmes and the Hardmans. The parents have to been to church in a while, but the kids seem to be interested in baptism, so we'll see if we can't get them all to come to church together. Since we've known them, they've been coming to church, so that is a plus.

We got to go to the Twin Falls temple after our zone meeting. What we didn't realize was they only do a session every 2 hours. We got there about half an hour after the most recent session had started, so we got to spend time doing other work. That was my first time being since I was in Socal. Things are looking up! The sun is shining! The tank is clean! There is plenty of work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment