Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Week 30:Another week bites the dust

Well this was a fun week that made me reflect on a few things I learned from/was told by my dad. There are a variety of tales, so let's get started!
Thursday we had an "ice storm". I hadn't been outside yet when we got a text from our mission president telling us to be cautious because of an ice storm that had passed through. I looked out the window. Things looked a little wet, but not icy. This was my first reminder of my dad. He served his mission on the east coast where they really do have ice storms. Based on his stories, this was not even close to an ice storm. I put on my shoes and went outside. Needless to say, I had a little trouble getting to the car because of ice on the ground. There wasn't any ice where people had been driving, so most of the main roads were ok. That morning we had a service project...in a parking lot...where cars hadn't driven. Luckily, somebody had salted part of the parking lot, so we were able to walk and move the items on part of it. We tried blocking off the part of the parking lot that was icy with our car, but people insisted on driving around our car and parking on the ice(where it put them maybe 5' closer to the packages). In the end, the total number of times any of us hit the ground by slipping: 0. We lucked out this time.
Friday, we spent some time with a part member family. Ernie(93) and Ivy(slightly younger) are a much older couple, Ivy being the member-Ernie having talked to missionaries for the past who knows how long. Today his son, Ernie Jr., was visiting. Ernie Jr is a cowboy entertainer. He plays guitar and reads cowboy poetry to elementary students and wherever else he can. Ernie asked him to play a few tunes for us. He was playing old stuff like Marty Robinson. I have no idea who that is, BUT I do have a little bit of old country knowledge. Because of the wonders of Youtube sessions shared with my dad, I was able to ask if he knew Gene Kelly's 'Johnny Ringo'. He knew the story, but not the actual lyrics or music. The next song he played, I was also able to mumble the words: Big Iron! I felt proud for having been able to make that old country connection thanks to a dad who has good taste in music.
On the more missionary side of missionary work, a sister preparing to leave on a mission gave her farewell talk. It was about the 'why's' of missionary work. Why we do it. Why it is important that we do it. She encouraged not going out and referring all of your friends to the missionaries but instead being a good friend and example. As she was saying this, I was screaming "NO! NO! NO!" in my head...kind of. It's true. You don't want to refer all of your friends or even randomly selected friends to the missionaries. What I would suggest is figuring out which of your friends might be interested. Then, you ask if they are. Maybe even invite them over for an FHE that the missionaries will be at. Help your friends understand that we are normal people! Just yesterday we were told about how people have responded after we went to help out at a service project in the county museum. Nobody was jumping and vollunteering to let us teach them, but they were talking about us and saying how nice we were. That's a step in the right direction.
Speaking of vollunteering, Saturday I felt like a boy scout again. We got to go help paint part of a motel for some less active members. As we got there, Houston(the guy we were doing this for) asked if either of us had painted before. I vollunteered the information that I had. What did I get to do? TRIM! Oh, how I love painting the trim. It's not actually too bad. You just have to be extra careful. If you move the paint brush a centimeter too far, you get paint on the carpet. In the end, only a little bit of paint ended up on the carpet, so I feel like a did a slightly above satisfactory job.
Have you ever seen a 49' beam that needed to be moved into position as the top part of the roof? Neither had I until later on Saturday. After several hours of planning and preparation, we used a forklift turned crane to lift the beam 20'ish into the air and put it into position. The scary part came when the beam wouldn't fall into position by gravity alone. Brandon(the guy who owned the house we were working on) climbed up on top of the beam and pounded the one side into place. It was very precarious looking. Nobody was injured in this process, so somebody was looking out for us.
In future news, Elder Holland is coming to the Twin Falls area, so we will get to hear from him this Saturday! I'll be sure to take good notes so that I can tell you about it next week.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment