Friday, December 28, 2012

Week 25: It's Christmas, and we walk alone

Merry [almost depending on when you read this] Christmas to you! I hope you're having a very happy time!
This past week was a more service minded week. Elder Bingham, myself, Elder Pimentel, and Elder King got to help move a family into their house. Later on in the week we got to put drywall up where a week earlier we had installed insullation. I've been learning a lot about the technical parts of working and how to do constructive things like the work I described.
The mission had a Christmas gathering last week. President asked a few of the foreign missionaries to share their Christmas traditions which got me thinking about some of the things that made my Christmases so fun. Some of the things I will 'miss':
-A Muppet Christmas Carol! That has got to be one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time. Why? I don't know. It makes me feel good inside. It shares the message of keeping the Christmas spirit all year round. A few Christmases back, President Monson said "Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than things. To catch the real meaning of the “spirit of Christmas,” we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the “Spirit of Christ.”
-How the Grinch Stole Christmas(not the Jim Carey version) Back home, this was a family favorite. It was something we all enjoyed. Dr. Seuss put it simply, and he did it the right way. People can change and we can all be happy if we all have the right prioirites.
-Family and friends. I kind of like my family and friends even if I didn't always show it. I know we're all in different places right now, but each of us is where we needs to be. I'll be happy because everyone else is happy where they are(as far as I know).
It turns out some people don't have Christmas programs in the sacrament meeting. Instead, they use their Sunday School hour to have an hour long singing, Christmas time-y program. I guess that isn't such a bad thing, unless of course you are using the chapel during Sunday School and you keep the next ward from getting in to do their sacrament meeting....not that that happened.
Merry Christmas! Have a happy and warm season! TTFN
Elder Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment