Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Week 23: "A Busy Super Fast Week"

It felt like it took forever to get from two weeks ago to last week, but from last week to this week went be superfast!
It's kind of starting to get cold here...I've got a picture attached. I want you to guess-based on the picture-what the temperature is. What do you think? 40? 35 because I said it was cold? Still not there yet! 26! 26 degrees outside, and that is what it looks like! Tell me nature is not playing a cruel trick on us making it look nice and inviting outside.
Do you know what we got to do in this weather? Service projects! It rocked actually! I started out by moving giant blocks of wood with my companion. We're talking, wider than I can grab by myself sized trunks. Then we filled a trailer that this wood was in with bad wood to be hauled to the dump. Elder Bingham and I had the job of cleaning up the area in preparation for moving a dog kennel. The Spanish elders were laying shingles while we were doing the heavy lifting, and when I say heavy, I mean heavy. There were a few 90lbs bags of concrete/cement(I'm sorry, I get the two mixed up some of the time), BUT(and here is the caviat) they had gotten wet and hardened! They were now 100+lbs bags of concrete/cement! How many were there? 4. What did I do with them? I had to lift them one by one into a wheel barrow, and I hauled them up a super tiny hill to be dumped next to a garbage can once all 4 were in the dumpster. Needless to say, while the heavy lifting was going on, I didn't feel the cold anymore.
Saturday we had a baptism for this really awesome guy named Zach! He's lived around members his entire life. Apparently he's been through a few sets of missionaries, but a friend of his finally was able to convince him to 'get wet'(be baptized). At the end of the month I'll have a really cool story that you all will need to share with the younger generation but also a second story of warning to that same younger generation. I've met quite a few less active members, but at the same time we've got 4 baptisms lined up for the next week and a half.
One thing I failed to mention last week(I hope) was that I've now been out for 5 months! The 5th was my 5 month mark! It was very exciting! Spent the day doing work just like every other day. The only truly exciting thing about that 5 month mark: my next 'month mark' is my 6 month mark which'll mean I've been out for 6 months and I'll have been through a quarter of my mission! Scary to think about, huh? Time flies by.
This week in our zone meeting which we have once a month, we were each "invited"(told) to make our own Title's of Liberty(See Alma chapter 46). I had to make mine all poetic because that's the kind of guy I am. Mine said "Swift to listen Swifter to serve Swiftest to love! Save the lost! Serve the found!" Yeah, that sounds pretty good to me. Now we'll see how well I live by it.
Yesterday, I heard a great quote. John Wayne(a man amongst men) said "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways." I think that is a great quote. It's okay to be scared, but we cannot let that fear control our lives. Joshua 1:9 says "be strong and of good courage...for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest" What do we have to fear when we are on God's side? How do we keep him on our side so that we can stay courageous? We don't. He's not on our side. We have to be on his side. That's the best way to guarantee He'll be there for us.
On that happy note, I hope everybody out there is safe and well. Stay warm this winter season!
TTFN
Elder Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment