Monday, October 1, 2012

Week 13: "Food, Glorious Food."

As a missionary, it is really hard to say 'no' when people offer to give you food. Our normal home diet consists of cereal and peanut butter(or at least that is my diet). This week it changed a little bit. We were given a lot of "food" from members. Just because of how crazy it is/was, I'm going to list it all out. This last week we were given 4 cantalope, 1 watermelon, 6 giant cinnamon rolls, 2 huge pieces of red velvet cake, 2 cases of Capri Suns, french toast sticks, a jar of Raspberry-Peach jam, several bags of chocolate chip cookies, a bag of no-bake cookies(at home we always called these fudgy oatmeal cookies, but apparently everyone else calls them no-bake cookies), and 2 bags of 'candy'(a big bag of Skittles and a bag of chocolate covered pretzels). It was ridiculous! What's even more ridiculous is that it is almost all gone! Luckily, we were able to enlist the help of some other missionaries in eating all of this. We've still got 2 cantalopes and the jam, but everything else is gone.
 
I don't know how many of you noticed, but the title is a quote from Ice Age 2. I only bring that up because it is a cartoon. Cartoons are similar to story books. I only bring up story books because I used one is a lesson this week! I got to teach using the story of "The Star-Bellied Sneetches". After a dinner, I got to share a spiritual thought, and I used the story of "The Star-Bellied Sneetches" In the story, everybody was changing to become something else that they thought was better than what they previously were. In the end they were kind of forced to reconcile there differences because they realized how petty a difference it was(and they couldn't remember who had been different for what reasons). It was kind of a "the grass is greener on the other side" story, but I'm here to tell you that even if the grass is greener on the other side, the grass on your side of the field is more comfortable and it is all yours. Sometimes the greener grass isn't better. It's more trouble and it's not what you need. I don't know about you guys, but I like my grass soft! I don't care how green it is, as long as it is soft. You can have all of the green grass you want, but I am going to love the grass that I have been given because it is my own special grass.
 
A few weeks ago I brought up having several flats. Don't worry, I didn't get anymore flats. I'm here to talk about the 'bike graveyard'. I will make a disclaimer, that all I've added to the graveyard is dead tubes. Apparently there was an elder here just before me who ruined whole bikes and not just tubes. I'm attaching a picture with a list of things to see if you can find them all.
Can you find:
5 dead tubes
1 bike frame without tires
1 unused/bent rim
3 tires
Our 2 good bikes are sitting there too, but all of that other stuff is also kind of just hanging out.
 
Last night at dinner, the brother providing dinner showed us a video. It's a devotional from summer 2011 at BYU, and I am now going to give it a thumbs up. The devotional is called "His Grace is Sufficient" and it was given by Brad Wilcox. If you find yourself with another spare half hour after reading this, I strongly suggest watching or reading this. It is a great talk, and I would not do it any justice by trying to describe it. My description would ruin it, so I'm just going to tell all of you to watch it and take in it's amazing message on your own time.
 
This has been Elder Mann reporting in from the Meridian Public Library. Y'all have a good week!
 
p.s. I told you all about my Meridian address a few weeks back(3145 Valam). Well, if you send a letter this week, you can still use it; however, if you send a letter next week, use the old address(1111 S Cole Road) because I could end up moving to a new area next week. We'll find out. TTFN Tah Tah for Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment