Monday, September 24, 2012

Week 12: Christmas...in September?

Weird heading, huh? Well there is actually a little bit of a story behind it. We had Zone Conference(a whole bunch of us missionaries come together and do all sorts of fun stuff) this past week, and somebody mentioned Christmas and gifts. That got the Christmas ball rolling. Saturday night we got Raspberry Hugs(the white chocolate Kisses). They are really good, and I recommend them to everyone if you can manage to find them. This is the first time I had heard of them. Sunday, the weather was very similar to Christmas-time back home, kind of cooler and a little overcast with drizzle. I don't know. It reminded me of Christmas. The Hugs also reminded me of Christmas because we always had special varieties of Kisses at Christmas-time. I was just in a very Christmas-y mood, and reading Christmas hymns during sacrament didn't help. I read "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and realized I really like that hymn! "God is not dead nor doth he sleep! The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with peace on Earth good will to men!" I added the exclamation points, but it is so true! It felt like Christmas...That was the big fun thing this week. Christmas feelings. Yes, it made me a little sad to realize I won't be with my family this Christmas. I didn't realize how bad it can potentially be, but I'll make the best of it!
One last note on Christmas: Some of you may be wondering what the perfect gift is to get your missionary in Africa or Cambodia, or maybe even stateside, but probably not yet since it is still September. This might not be true for all missionaries, but I think the best gift you can give a missionary is personal ....?attributes?. In letter or some other form, let the missionary know what your favorite scripture or favorite scripture story is and let them know how it gained its spot as 'favorite'. This is better than candy or snacks(especially where I am). Your stories and experiences beat out all the worldly things in the world as far as I am concerned.
 
It's starting to cool down up here, and I can tell I am going to need a jacket soon. I didn't come with one because I was in Socal where jackets are few and far in between during summer when I came out. It's not too bad yet, but it will be soon enough. Luckily suit coat season will start soon. Up here we don't where our suit jackets during summer, but about the time General Conference happens everybody pulls there suitcoats out.
 
Have a great week! Enjoy life for it is meant to be enjoyed!
Elder Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment