Monday, August 6, 2012

One Month!

Hello whoever is reading this!
 
Well I have officially been on my mission for 1 month now(July 5-Aug 5)! It is hard to believe that there is a world out side of my area! My current area is half farmland and half sub-divisions. It is really funny and eventually I'll get a picture that depicts it perfectly. It is great being out here. There is very strong member support in the area. We've got dinner every night, and sometimes we get offers for lunch too. This might be hard to believe, but while up here, I've had the best tacos in the world. I'm from Socal! You think I'd have had the best down there. Nope! They're up here! Last night I got to eat elk for the first time. I like it better than steak(which I actually had the night before). It feels like 9 out of 10 families have a garden and we are somehow fed something from that garden. Last week we went out and picked blackberries from one older couple's garden. They were great right off of the vine!
 
Speaking of older gentlemen, I love them. They have such cool stories and collections. One had a car and sword collection which included a 1949 Buick Roadmaster(Rainman, anyone?). Another had his father's doorknob collection, and the last one I saw was a belt buckle collection. I feel bad because I don't look excited when they show me these collections, but I really am. I think they are awesome!
Another great thing I've noticed about the older community is how resilient they are. It seems like all of the old people have been through some sort of difficult trial. Some lung cancer; others cataract surgery; one guy had to have a chunk of one of his internal organs removed(which I guess can also be said for the lung cancer guy). These people haven't layed down and keeled over though. They are fighting and overcoming whatever trial has come there way! Even if they don't have anything really difficult going on, they are still being proactive. One guy buys old stuff and restores it and he's got to be 80! I hope I get to be that way when I am older.
 
If I might make one suggestion to whomever is reading this. Go to Youtube if you can, or lds.org, and look up "Lessons I learned as a boy". It is a beautiful and inspiring short video about...about alot. Referring to the video: Everyone of us has been blessed with silver dollars at some point in their life. Sometimes we forget to thank those that bless us with these gifts, whether or not we know who gave them to us. I feel like I have been especially bad at that part. Thank you friends and family for being there for me in so many different ways at so many different times.
 
Elder Mann
 
 Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I commited a family to baptism! A family of 4 has agreed to be baptised September 8! Everything should work out great with them. They have a strong testimony and truly believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the Book of Mormon is true. It's true what they say! 'The field is white!'" 

"As I've recently found out, BYU and other colleges will be starting up soon. If you happen to be somebody that has written me or plans on writing me a letter and are moving some time in the next month to college, please include in that letter your new address because if I send it back home you will be gone before it can get to you. Thanks all!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment