Thursday, July 26, 2012

Week 3: 1st few days in Boise!

Wow! These past few days have gone by really fast, and it has just been crazy! Obviously I am alive and well. Were I not, I could not send this.
 
The MTC feels like a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. It's hard to believe I was there just two days ago. I got 4 letters Monday afternoon, so I stayed up until 2am responding to them. I then got up at 4am to finish getting ready and leave for the airport and the real world. We left from Salt Lake Airport for Boise at 8:30 and touched down a little less than an hour later. We were greeted at the airport by President and Sister Cannon as well as the Assistants to the President: Elder Wright and Elder Cottam.
From there we went to the Mission Office for a nice lunch. The office is actually in the Stake Center right next to the Boise temple. Apparently they were completely redoing the interior of the temple. The Open House will begin in October, and President Monson will do the rededication in November.
We had a little bit of training and interviews with President Cannon after lunch. After that we were sent to downtown Boise to do some street contacting. We were paired up with random trainers and given copies of The Book of Mormon to hand out. I was able to give out one(I might have gotten a little help...but I probably could have done it on my own) in addition to another that my trainer gave out. While out doing the street contacting we met a Sister Bown from around Carlsbad, CA who happens to know Sister Chatfield from Redlands 1st Ward. My first day and I've already ran into somebody I shouldn't know(alright...technically I don't know her, but we have a mutual friend. We're 1000 miles from CA. That shouldn't happen.) We then had a nice dinner at the Mission Home before heading off to bed. The next morning we ate breakfast, did a little more training, and were finally paired off with our real companions.
I've been placed in the Meridian West Stake in Meridian, Idaho over the Peregrine, Cherry Lane, Ten Mile, and Autumn Fare wards with my companion Elder Jones. Half the area is farmland, and the other half is suburbs. It's really pretty funny. As soon as I figure out how, I'll send pictures. The area has very strong member presence. Despite this strong member presence, I get to give a talk on creation and teach a lesson for the Young Men and Young Women on my first Sunday out! Yay! Nobody has slammed a door in my face yet, which has been very nice. Lucky me, I get to be in a bike area! I am very grateful for this because...well...because I'm me, and I like biking!

I am finally starting to feel like a real missionary. At first there is a little shell shock coming out of the MTC, but after you knock your first door and teach your first lesson it goes away. You really have to remember that you are still you. Sometimes that is hard, but it is important to be a person(an obedient person). The only person I know how to be is myself, so I'm going to go with that and see how it works.
They like all mail to be sent to the mission office(my address on facebook) to prevent loss of mail during transfers. This will make the time it takes me to get any letters longer, but that's okay. I can only write back on Mondays anyways.
That's all from the field!
Be smart, be wise, remember who you are
Elder Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment